Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Prototype 2 (PS3)







I have to say I enjoyed the first Prototype game. It came out during a very dry period in gaming in 2009 and I enjoyed it. However, maybe its due to the amount of games I play, but it wasn't very memorable. While I remember running around New York City waving my giant tentacle arms and gobbling up innocents, I don't remember a damn thing from the story line.

Flash forward to 2012 and now we have a sequel. While I enjoyed Prototype 2, it suffers from the same problem as the first game, its not memorable. Missions are tied together loosely with black and white cut scene that only have blue and red. I realize this is Radical's attempt at being artistic, but come on guys, I think we can move on past that. They also inter cut weird full motion video into the consuming portions. I remember this from the first game and while it may be neat the first couple times, whats the point?

Another problem I have is graphics. I don't usually care too much about this, I mean hell I played MorphX just fine and didn't care about them. But I wish they could make the shape changing and tentacle stuff look better. I looks at times like a last generation with an HD shine put on it. And honestly the game looks it best when you're far away from everything...that's kind of sad when you think about it.


Besides having a fairly predictable story with a twist that you could see from a mile a way, Prototype 2 is fun. Its fun to play. Plain and simple. Running up the side of a building only to jump kick off, glide a few meters and land on some poor solider never gets old. I also liked the powers, while it doesn't seem like there are as many in the first game, it added an element where you can yield two powers at once. Its pretty cool to be slicing someone with a giant sword arm to go to pummeling them with hammer fists.


While there is a greater amount of customized ability (kind of), Prototype does make you feel like a genetic bad ass. I will say however, compared to the first game, I hate the main character in the second game. Jame Heller is not a like able protagonist. His gruff angry voice and his all around lack of humanity makes him an unlikeable hero. Even if he is an anti-hero, I don't see a redeeming quality about him. With Alex Mercer in the first game, I felt more of a connection. His story made sense to while he is mad. With Heller...it doesn't make sense and his revenge story doesn't redeem him.

But like I said I enjoyed Prototype 2, its certainly worth a discounted price for admission, but its a fun mindless romp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment