Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The End of an Era


And then it was. No big explosion, no large crash, no fireworks, no bright flashing lights, no bang, whistle or pop. No sounds except for a simple click. The end of my Facebook persona. It was quick and without much fuss. Granted they love to guilt you into staying, like a grieving widow sitting next to her dying husband showing pictures of their past together, Facebook shows you friends and loved ones (that you may have never even talked to) saying they will miss you.



I've been on Facebook for nearly 7 years now. The longest time I have ever been apart of anything virtual. Hell, in my WoW days it was only 3-4 years. I joined back when you needed a college email address (and I wish they would have kept that). If they would have kept it like that, I think I would have liked it more. It would have been a virtual place in which intelligent people can come together to socialize and discuss. Instead, I think in its current form it has become somewhat of expression of reality TV. Maybe not the extent of the bottom feeding ooze that was MySpace.com (I mean at least one Facebook, there wasn't glittery HTML text or flaming skull .gifs). But MySpace at least allowed for customization. Facebook leaves things the same dull blue and white color scheme with only the ability to change pictures. But this is probably why people flock to Facebook, it keeps everything uniform, even and rigid. It does all the creative elements for you. People cling to this sort of notion. Since the expression of creativity is something very personal to the person who is creating and the person who is viewing it it garners different feelings. If everyone's page was the same, it would be up the individual person I suppose. Regardless...its done.

Time to let the creative juices flow...after a much needed break of course. I need to recuperate so I can be able to attack this paper. Much like the great Teddy Roosevelt wrestled a buffalo by the horns and taught it to read, I need to get shit done.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. If it wasn't for my APIC group, I probably would have left a few years ago. Yet, so far a group of 500+ political button collectors keeps me on at least once a day. I've been trying to cut back in various ways that have had mixed results.

    I no longer post while mobile. No one cares that I'm at some park or at the movies.

    On weekends, I try to login only twice a day. Once in the morning, and once in the evening.

    Again, have had mixed results. Weekdays are horrible when I am stuck waiting for classes...hour long blocks on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is something I was missing, maybe a group that I felt connected to. While of course there were friends, I did have my small Parrot group I belonged to. All of weird parrot people would get together and discuss everything parrot related.

    I think its important to distance ones self from social media. Your idea of not posting mobile I think is very important. I was on it all day. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't go 10-15 minutes without checking. It was terrible. So far I've enjoyed not checking it...kind of a weight off my shoulders feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never understood why they call it social media. When did old X-Files and Babylon 5 chat groups, troubleshooting forums, and IM services get graduated to social media?

    ReplyDelete