Sunday, June 17, 2012

"I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!"





I received an odd little plush turtle from my very sick grandmother yesterday. You see yesterday marked the end of my masters program at my university. Well...end is a relative term, I still need to finish my thesis, which is well, not close to be done yet. That is whole other story. Anyway, the point of this post is about this little turtle plush.

Turtles have always had a weird place in my heart. Not to the place of birds...because hell we know, I am pretty crazy about birds. But turtles, I don't know what it is about them. Maybe its an connection with my childhood, maybe its something else. In any case I find this little turtle interesting.

I think the basic connection to turtle are they slow and patience creatures. I mean looking at Aesop's Fables, the tortoise outsmarts the hare. I wonder if that's the relation to this little creature. The turtle could also mean and exit from your shell. You have finally come to the other side, closer to adulthood. While the state may consider me an adult, I am far from it. I don't know...will I ever consider myself an adult? Probably not. Its not in my mentality, my personality. I may always be a big kid. Maybe its a way to escape from the reality of life. The harsh unforgiving nature that often accompanies it. Maybe the turtle is a comparison to my academic career, which in itself has been a test of patience and willpower. I mean, I now sit at the end, nearly 10 years later. Granted I got a little lost a long the way (couple extra years in my undergrad and a extra year in my masters). But I am done (kind of).

Whatever the case, I now stand on a precipice, either looking to jump into the unknown or stand on the edge spitting off the side figuring out what to do next. I mean, much like the turtle, do I stay in my shell, or do I leave it? I suppose in real life a turtle can't leave its shell...but whatever this is a metaphor. Just something to think about.

With that however, I leave you with the theme of my college career.


No comments:

Post a Comment